Tales of a Startup: Pareto CareEvolving Care from Reactive to Predictive with UC San Diego Founded Pareto Care

July 22, 2021

Pareto Care Founder Thalansh BatraWith Pareto Care, founder Thalansh Batra ‘19 envisioned a healthcare system which keeps people healthy, transforming the way clinicians think about patient management.

The company’s unique bottom up approach to bringing about this evolution has the ability to evolve the health care system at every level. Achieving their purpose by reducing healthcare expenditures, Pareto Care helps keep chronic disease patients out of the hospital and allows clinicians to monitor and manage them remotely.

As an undergraduate, Batra built and advanced sensing technologies and algorithms to detect & predict deterioration early on. What started as an education technology company has grown into a continuous non-invasive monitoring using a single touch point, with your doctor or primary care physician prescribing the patient this life-saving device.

Read more on his entrepreneurial journey below, from UC San Diego Basement Blackstone LaunchPad to a robust partnership with UC San Diego’s Altman Clinical and Translational Research Institute and the Indian Council of Medical Research, which is currently sponsoring all clinical trials.

Visual timeline of Pareto Care's Journey

What excites you about your work?

The potential impact wearable technology can have in saving peoples lives. The technology is catered to heart failure, monitoring patients at home to detect deterioration signals as early as 30 days in advance. We are preventing heart failure, hospitalizations, readmissions, and cutting down medical costs at a national level. 

“We are preventing heart failure, hospitalizations, readmissions, and cutting down medical costs at a national level. The impact is why I keep going - improving patient’s quality of life and reducing mortality rates. ”

Pareto Care wrist monitorI first got involved with the Basement and UC San Diego's entrepreneurial community through the National Science Foundation’s I-Corps program in Spring 2019. The NSF I-Corps program and The Basement helped us navigate our initial customer discovery process. Once we understood our customers’ problems better, we were able to understand the precise solution we had to create to solve their problems. The Basement’s entrepreneurial community has played an integral role in our journey.

If there was one program that really catapulted our success it was Rady Drive. It was an incredible way to connect with folks in the San Diego community that are super experienced. They’ve seen it all but understand the nitty gritty of what works and what doesn't work. It truly changed the vision of our company.

What campus resources have helped you throughout your student entrepreneurial journey?

I started the company my senior year at UC San Diego. Blackstone Launchpad’s Technology fellowship was vital to our success. The three month program included workshops and while self-driven, it helped us lay out goals for the company. It taught us the art of pitching, managing and identifying KPIs, networking, and connected us to the executive MBA program at Cornell. All of this would not have been possible without advice from The Basement.

How did you balance being a full-time student while also running a startup?

My senior year was actually pretty light, so I had a good amount of time to work on what I needed to work on, but they were long nights for sure. What drove me and still does is the idea of being able to learn so much, every single day. Starting a company changed the way I look at the world. It gave me the confidence to pick up anything, learn it and apply it. 

“Starting a company changed the way I look at the world. It gave me the confidence to pick up anything, learn it and apply it.”

We had no idea in the beginning what we were doing. Now we are advancing technology and filing patents.

What role have mentors played in your success/journey?

We were blessed to have amazing mentors, particularly Michael Collins from IGE’s MedTech accelerator team, as well as Darrel Drinan, CEO of Corventis. Mentors should never tell you what to do. Those are the right kind of mentors. They told us what to think about and how to think about it. It gave me the foundation for it all. 

What advice would you give to another UC San Diego student thinking about starting a company?

I chose UC San Diego because it’s a university that allows and encourages innovation and pushes boundaries on various technologies. I always wanted that kind of experience. I wanted to be a part of a community that was doing wonderful things. UC San Diego gave me that community. 

“I chose UC San Diego because it’s a university that allows and encourages innovation and pushes boundaries on various technologies."

My advice...don't think twice about it, just dive in. You figure your way out, if you are determined to start your own, just start it! 

Monitoring over 20 parameters continuously and non-invasively

To learn more about the Pareto Care solution, visit https://pareto.care or email Thalansh at thalansh@paretotree.com